Monday, February 27, 2012

Linhares - Week Twelve

Well.  Nothing happened this week.

Just kidding. But the start of the week was kinda hard. Saturday to Wednesday, nothing was open and everyone was out partying and stuff because of Carnivale. Because this is a smaller city, everyone left for the beach that is close by or the other cities. So we still worked through it. This week we worked a lot with less actives, trying to get them to go back to church because we have a TON of inactive members in this ward. It makes me sad meeting them, and they say that they're going to another church now, which I think is stupid. Anyway, we visited a lot of less actives this week, and we'll keep visiting them

We baptized this week! Just one, it is the cousin of our other baptisms, her name is Ilaine. We decided that she could be baptized, because she's gone to church almost every time, will be able to keep going with her grandma, and who was firm. She wanted me to baptize her, so I did. The baptism was good, just Elder Fischer and I got a little upset with the members, because the ward mission leader didn't tell anyone about the baptism, and he knew for at least two weeks, and then they wanted us to hurry up the meeting and get it done because the Relief Society was supposed to have some activity in the same room, (but we already talked to the president who said she'd just do it in another room) so it was rushed, they still didn't use the room, and there wasn't very many people to support the baptism. but other than that, it was AWESOME! Their grandma will be baptized soon also, but she just has to get married first, so we're just waiting for that. This is the last week of the transfer though so I don't know if I'll stay or not.

I also talked in church this week about missionary work. I had an awesome talk prepared, but time was short, because they switched branch presidents yesterday, I took up too much time, so I felt bad too. They basically had to kick me off the podium. I was a little disappointed about that. It was about what prophets have said about why missionary work is important and how members can help. A lot of times here they'll say that if a recent convert goes inactive it was the missionaries' fault because they weren't ready, when they didn't do anything to fellowship or help the recent converts. Anyway, the members are really key to missionary work in any area, and the trick is just getting them to realize that and help out. One of the quotes I liked, I think it was President Benson, said that through missionary work, the members' testimonies will grow more, and it for sure will raise the spirituality in any ward where applied. It's in Preach My Gospel at the end of chapter 1.

I’m not sure if we'll have a baptism this week, the one that would, has been gone for almost all this last week, and now her ex-husband wants to live with her again, so she wouldn't be able to get baptized, but we'll see what happens.

The pictures are the baptism, there's a stupid shadow, I know. William, my convert, getting some practice for his mission, =D the view from our investigators window, and, something that I just thought was hilarious. It's the reason why Brazilians drive so crazy. They put their traffic signs behind things such as street lights.
[We didn't get the other two pictures he refers to.]

Well that's about it for this week. This might be my last week here! I'm working hard, eating a lot, (its okay though because I actually run every morning!) and I'm always hungry. (Like a boy scout but worse. Missionaries are always hungry!)

I love you all. I think your blog is hilarious mom, just so you know. Only after I go on a mission do I realize how funny my family is. Thanks for everything, I'm waiting for those packages, unless they got sent back again I'll get them at the end of this week! Thanks for all that you did to get me here mom and dad. Definitely the best thing I could be doing. I love you all! Drew don't crash in your first month driving! See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment