Monday, February 13, 2012

Linhares - Week Ten

I had some interesting experiences this week!

First off, it's been a hard week of teaching. We been trying really hard to find new people, but many of them just don't have a very strong desire to learn or do anything to get there. That's the most frustrating part, is that they just won't do anything.

I had a few new experiences this week. I talked to a drunk murderer with a revolver in his pants. That was new. We were at a house in a poor area (this was the second time we were at their house) and just decided that they were the kind of people that wouldn't do anything, and were just making excuses of why they can't go to church (all of which didn't make sense). We were about to say a prayer and leave when this older drunk guy comes stumbling in, grabbing something in the front of his pants. He started talking to us, crying about how terrible a person he is and he doesn't want to feel bad anymore, rambling about how he had a revolver, (which he really did. Guns, BTW, are illegal in Brazil) and how he was the most feared bandit in EspĂ­rito Santo. Well, we managed to escape that one after he kept rambling. So that was something new, and a little scary.

Other new experience. We had a service project today at a members house that they are building outside the city. It was about a 20 minute drive out there (they took us out in their car), and we helped them build their new house for a few hours. After we ate lunch there, they had to leave, so we taught the first lesson to the other guy helping us that lives at the same place--his house is just farther back--and then we had to hitchhike back to the city. We started walking for about 10 minutes without any luck. If we walked all the way to the city, it would take a few hours. Finally, we managed to flag down a guy in a fiat pickup (it looks kinda like an El Camino, not really a truck) who was turning onto this main road. He let all 4 of us missionaries ride in the bed of his car all the way back to the border of the city, then we had to walk another 45 minutes to our apartment to change and get ready to work again. After getting soft serve ice cream. =) First time in my life that I hitchhiked.

Another awesome experience this week. I know they say not to tell home when you're sick and things, but this one is worth it. Friday, Elder Fischer and I ate something that was bad. We think it was a papaya that someone fed us. We each ate half and it's supposed to be a natural laxative. Anyway, Saturday, Elder Fisher woke up sick. By the time we were halfway through studies he had already been in the bathroom like 7 times. It got worse for me throughout the day. Basically the whole day we had headaches, our bodies felt tired and sore, stomachs were hurting all day, but we just kept working. The last visit of the day, we caught a recent convert smoking, and helped her realize that she needed to go to church this Sunday, not next Sunday like she wanted to, and she was really grateful for our help. When we got home, we realized that miraculously, all of our lessons that we taught that day were with members, even though we didn't have someone leave with us, which allowed us to reach our weekly goals. Also, when I got home, the pain and tiredness hit so hard, after we finished planning the next day. As I lay on my bed, I realized that angels had been helping us through the day. There is no way we did all that by ourselves. And we probably walked more that day than any other day this week. I knew that angels were helping us along that day. That was an awesome experience of the mission.

To answer some of your questions:
There are no sisters in this area, just me and my companion, and another companionship with a Brazilian, and an Argentine.

Culturally, I like that nothing is open on Sunday. But that means they're all going to bars, watching soccer, and maybe going to random churches at night. But in Center, nothing is open. Except for some ice cream places.

I don't like that people will lie just to make you happy. They are more emotionally driven, so they'd rather hide from you, or lie to you, than tell you that they don't want to take the lessons anymore. Or that they won't go to church/keep commitments. People here are also lazy. They'd rather just do what's easy. haha  Maybe that’s not so different!

Sounds like the family is doing great! I liked hearing about what every member is doing. Exciting things are happening at home! Well I already typed a lot and I still have to mail president. I love you all!

Scripture of the week. is from Jacob 6. I think its verse 10? I don't know but you can find it. I had Drew in mind especially for this one. All it says is "O be wise; what can I say more?" So just don't do dumb things. Keep the commandments, live the gospel standards, even if it's not the cool thing to do, because the Lord will bless you and you will have more happiness. I just liked how plain that scripture was. What can I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment